Saturday, November 22, 2008

MAGIC GLASSES!













Just like the bottled water and cup of soup, from the Doubletree Hotel, God continues to pour out his grace and provide for me in an amazing way. Thursday I had my ophthalmologist appointment. Yes, he confirmed, I was seeing double! However, there is no way of knowing how the tumor is impacting the vision until the surgery is over. In the meantime, the doctor referred me to Vanessa. It was 3 PM when Bob and I attempted to make an appointment with Vanessa. The first available was December 19th and the second available was January 5. But WAIT! Look! She had a cancelation TODAY. Do you want a 4:15 appointment at Vandevere??? YES!!!!

What does Vanessa do? She measures eyes to fit for a prism. Apparently, one of the muscles in my left eye is weak (likely because of the tumor) and is elevated. This means my brain is seeing two separate images (double vision). A prism, over one eye, can trick my weak eye into seeing the same image as my strong eye. Unbelievable! Even more unbelievable, Vanessa has been taking Thursday’s off, for vacation, for several weeks, but, today, she had several urgent patients and decided to come in. One of her patients cancelled their 4:15 appointment! After measuring me for the prism, and seeing the urgency, she contacted another lab tech to see if he could stick around and fit me with the prism, which is merely a film over a regular pair of glasses.

At 5:45 PM, with my eyes fully dilated (from my first appointment), and no contact lens in my right eye (for distance) I walked out of the office with a pair of Magic Glasses!! The double vision was gone, but, because my eyes were dilated and no contact lens, I had no idea what I was going to see.

Friday morning @ 6 AM—I CAN SEE! Single vision! Close up! Far away! But, wait, don’t move my eyes off the center part of my magic glasses or the world becomes a kaleidoscope again. I must confess, throughout the day, I discovered the magic glasses will take some time getting used to, but I am up for the challenge!

Next stop…November 25 @ 10 AM…Our visit with the surgeons. In the meantime, I will be on vacation, all Thanksgiving week, giving thanks to the Lord who has provided for me in such an amazing way.


Dance with me,

Laura

No comments: