Wednesday, November 26, 2008

We have a plan!

"Life is a series of choices. Today yours are good ones."

This quote came from my Pei Wei Restaurant's Chinese fortune cookie a few hours after meeting with the surgeons. I was given the choice to 1) do nothing but "monitor" the tumor, 2) radiation, or 3) surgery. Despite the fact that the "choice" was a bit of a "no brainer," I felt God's gentile hand on my heart reminding me He is near.

Another interesting twist to this day was waking up, the morning of the appointment, with a date stuck in my head: December 17th. Talking to the surgeons, I expressed a desire to get this going as quickly as possible. The doctors noted that it usually took about 2 months to book, but they, too, had some seasonal cancellations. Dr. Cueva checked their schedule, turned the calendar to Dr. Mastrodimos, who nodded and said, "How about December 17th?" I instantly knew that was to be the day and exclaimed, "WOW, I dreamt that date last night!!!"

The best news was when I was told to stop the steroids! Soon I will be "me" again. I can't wait for my stretched-out, chipmunk face (no pictures please) to be restored, my super-sonic chatter mouth to be stilled, and my mind and body to be re-connected. It will take about 12 days to wean me off.

I will spare you the details of the surgery only to say they will be going in from the side, near my temple. It will take about 5 hours as the lemon-sized tumor that I have been likely carrying around for over 10 years (the doctors are quite certain this is a benign tumor), has met and embraced my carotid artery just to make the surgery a bit more interesting. It is wonderful to know that my team of surgeons are Kaiser's "special A team" who get most of Kaiser's brain tumor patients shipped to them from all over the country. I am in good hands.

It is also wonderful to know that God's little messages to me, through a cookie and a dream, remind me that I am really in Good Hands!

Embraced by Grace and still dancing in La Mesa,

Laura

1 comment:

Choco Girl said...

It is just amazing to me how everything seems to be (no, IS!)working out. As He promised, "And we know that in all these things, God works the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28