Monday, December 22, 2008

STILL DANCING!

OKOK, so maybe I am dancing a little slow, but I am definitely dancing the “happy dance!” Can you believe I went home the day after surgery? Being the over-achieving, “A” student, they must have been impressed with the way I squeezed their fingers, pushed against their hands with my feet, and stuck out my tongue. I must have also passed the “after-surgery MRI.” Bob and I were in a state of disbelief as we pulled away from the hospital curb.

How am I doing now? As reported earlier, the surgeons were quite pleased with the way the orange-size tumor “fell out” of my head. Although there is still a piece of the tumor left in my cavernous sinus, I was told not to worry about it as it is very possible nothing will be affected. It will be watched, but, at the moment, we are not considering radiation therapy.

I have very little pain. Occasionally I will take a couple Tylenol, but I do not need anything stronger. My left side of my face, mostly near my eye and cheek, are still a little numb which may be why I am not in much pain. The chewing muscle was cut, so I do have a little difficulty opening my mouth very wide. That, in itself, is a blessing!!

Bob and I went to the Healthy Back store to buy a foam wedge so that I can sleep sitting up. I found that laying flat, for several hours, tends to put unwanted, added pressure on my head. Surprising, I did not lose much hair. The staples, which will come out on Tuesday, December 30, start at my ear, travel up, slightly away from my face, and then make a big U-turn and head for my forehead. If they shaved any hair, it appears they only shaved it on the staple track as there is hair above and below the “track.”

The best part of my recovery instructions is to be up and around and not napping all day. I take a walk, each morning, which really jump starts my battery, and keeps me up and moving most of the day. Yes, I get tired, and I am slowly learning my limits. Bob keeps a close eye on me and knows when I need to rest.

Given the size of the tumor, and the area it displaced, it is no surprise that I still have double vision. It could take up to a year for my vision to be corrected. I meet with the ophthalmologist on January 27 and will have a better idea of what to expect.

Through it all, I am being taught patience as well as how to trust the Lord. It is my hope to share how He prepared me, months before the tumor was discovered, and how He continues to work through my life. We all face challenges. This is just one of many challenges I have had to face in my life. However, with each trial, with each challenge, I have been blessed with renewed strength, confidence, and faith. Life is to be embraced, and by trusting in Jesus, He will provide an outpouring of grace and love.

On December 25th we celebrate the birth of Hope! I pray each of you will join me in celebrating Jesus, our provision, our peace, and our joy. I pray you will continue to walk with me on this “journey of hope.” Turn on the music and dance with me!

Hugs,

Laura

2 comments:

Choco Girl said...

Laura, thank you so much for your testimony! God is really good in everything!

cofeem8 said...

Laura, you are indeed an angel...Daddy's angel, as you were exactly the messenger that God wanted in his life and our entire family's lives. Thank you for your gift to us and for helping Daddy know when to go and to not be afraid. Love, Cindy